by Michele Ciancimino
Well, the old saying is only partially true. It’s really more accurate to say you are what you digest and absorb. The digestive system is the foundation for good health, and if it is not in good working order, we are open to many other health challenges.
Since 80% of our immune system originates in the gut, it is now more important than ever to make sure we take good care of the gut and even consider giving it a little tune-up from time to time.
There are some foods that are helpful to add to your routine for good digestive health:
- Pineapple aids digestion, and when you are sick, it helps suppress coughs and loosen mucus.
- Mint helps clear respiratory congestion and is soothing to sore throats.
- Lime helps create the proper alkalinity in the gut.
- Ginger supports the immune system and good digestion.
HERE IS A RECIPE FOR A GREEN MOJITO
- 1 cup 240ml coconut water or water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 3 limes peeled and quartered
- 1 cup 25g torn-up curly green kale leaves (1 or 2 large leaves with stalk removed)
- 1/2 cup 18g firmly packed mint
- 2 cups 320g frozen pineapple
- 5 drops alcohol-free liquid stevia
- 1 tsp grated ginger
Add all of the ingredients into your blender and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
Coming next week: Find out how to join my pre-holiday Digestive Tune-Up in October!