by Michele Ciancimino
You have probably heard that heavily processed, hydrogenated “trans” fats used in prepared and packaged foods can be extremely damaging to the body. They can compromise your cardiovascular and immune systems, lead to weight gain, skin breakouts, high blood pressure, and liver strain.
That said, our bodies need fat for vitamin and mineral absorption, to protect our organs and to help us produce new healthy cells. The right fats in the right amounts can stabilize your metabolism and hormone levels, and even nourish the skin, hair, and nails.
WHERE DO YOU FIND HEALTHY FATS?
- Avocados, olives, and coconut are great sources of healthy fat, along with organic eggs and wild-caught salmon.
- Whole nuts and seeds and their butters, like almond butter or tahini.
HOW TO USE HEALTHY FATS
- Look for the highest quality organic oils when shopping. Words like organic, first-pressed, cold-pressed, extra-virgin, and unrefined indicate the best quality product. Avoid words like expeller-pressed, refined, and solvent extracted.
- For high-temperature cooking, stir-frying and baking, try organic butter, ghee (clarified butter), or unrefined virgin coconut oil.
- For light sautéing, extra virgin olive oil is appropriate.
- Oils like flaxseed, sesame, toasted sesame, walnut, and pumpkin seed are best used unheated in sauces or dressings.
HERE’S AN EASY DELICIOUS RECIPE:
Makes 1 cup
1 large peeled and pitted avocado
2/3 cup plain organic yogurt, goat milk yogurt or coconut yogurt
1 diced tomato
Splash of lemon or lime juice
Dash of cayenne pepper
Himalayan pink salt and pepper to taste
- Mash avocado with fork until very smooth.
- Add yogurt, tomato, and cayenne and blend until smooth ( by hand or in a food processor or blender).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve chilled with raw veggies.
Next time- Which type of fat is best for your unique body?
It can make a difference to your health and weight and your DNA may hold the key.
OPEN HOUSE | HICKAM AVE, LAS VEGAS, NV 89129 | JUNE 3, 2023 (SATURDAY) 12:30-3PM 8940
OPEN HOUSE 8940 HICKAM AVE, LAS VEGAS, NV 89129 SATURDAY, JUNE 3 12:30-3PM $1.6M Magnificent custom home with...
June 01, 2023Read More
The True Value of Homeownership
The True Value of Homeownership For BuyersFirst Time Home Buyers Buying and owning your home can make a big difference...
June 01, 2023Read More
2022 PROFILE OF HOME BUYERS AND SELLERS
2022 NAR Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers - Summary.pdf.pdf