by Michele Ciancimino
Thanksgiving is around the corner and can be the start of a season of unhealthy eating for some of us. I’m here to tell you that you can make healthier holiday dishes and you can start with the sweet potato.
The sweet potato is a super healthy food with so many health benefits. Here are five impressive reasons to include them in your diet on a regular basis:
- High in fiber. The average medium potato has about 6 grams of fiber and most of us are failing to get the 30 grams a day we need. Fiber can help lower your bad cholesterol and helps prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Extremely high in Vitamin A and other carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin to help improve the health of your eyes and your skin. Orange fruits and veggies like pumpkin, carrots and, sweet potatoes are so beneficial to the skin
- Boost your immune system. Providing over 50% of your daily value of Vitamin C and a rich supply of antioxidants, the sweet potato can be part of your immune-boosting strategy this winter
- Great for digestion. Again, the fiber content of the sweet potato will help prevent constipation and digestive discomfort and the type of starch they contain can help feed the good bacteria in your gut
- Stress management- Sweet potatoes are high in magnesium, an important mineral that turns o? the stress response in the body. so If you’re stressed out, make sure to eat your sweet potatoes!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
For a healthy sweet potato recipe, visit my blog http://goodnessgirl.com/blog
For some more holiday support, watch for info on my upcoming recipe e- book, 21 Healthy One Pan Dinners for Holiday Survival on facebook http://facebook.com/thegoodnessgirl and instagram http://instagram.com/ goodnessgirl